Monday, June 1, 2015

Author and Mother: An Interview with Sandra Ely


Today I had the absolute pleasure of interviewing the very talented author, and dear friend of mine, Sandra Ely. She is amazing and so if her work. Now, that's enough from me, let's hear what Sandra had to say.

1 What inspired you to write?
I don't know that I've had any specific inspiration. I've always loved the written word and I've written the stories in my head as long as I can remember.
   
What was the first story you had ever written?
The first story I remember writing on my own was in grade school. It was a children's fantasy titled "Majic." I still have it floating around in a box somewhere.
3 
Did you always want to be an author?
This question is a lot more complex than it sounds. In my heart, I think I always knew being an author would be the only career choice that would satisfy me. The logical side of my brain toyed with other ideas, of course. You name it, I've probably considered it at one point or another. At the end of the day, I am an author and through my characters I can be anyone or anything I want to be.
4 
Where do your ideas come from?
I draw inspiration from everywhere. My stories typically start with a single line that draws me in, or a character I can't quite get out of my head.
5
Do you have a ritual when you write to keep things going?
I know a lot of authors have some sort of ritual, but not me. I'm not a structured writer (although I'd probably get more work done if I was). I don't work off an outline; I don't take notes. I don't write to music; I find it distracting. The closest thing to a ritual I have is after hitting publish on the finished project. At that point, I go into myself and binge read. It's an excellent way to get out of my own head and clear the way for the next story to get out.
6
What do you do in your spare time?
When I'm not spending time with my family I’m writing, chances are I'm reading. Seriously. I love books. I also enjoy cooking and baking. There's a few shows I'm addicted to currently, but even those I'm seriously behind on right now.
7
What genres do you write in? Have you thought about venturing into other genres? If so, which?
Everything I have available on the market right now falls into the category of paranormal romance. The Immortal Hearts series falls into the horror sub-genre. The Calling falls into romantic suspense for a sub-genre. I've got several other stories started in many different genres. Horror. Dystopian. Epic Fantasy. Contemporary Romance.
8
Which one of the characters you have created is your favorite?
This question shouldn't be as easy to answer as it is. Seriously, though, I love all my characters. However, there is a special place in my heart for Valerie. She's strong, independent, and knows exactly what she wants. She also has this super cool ability you can't help but love. You can get to know her in Hunter's Fall, which follows along from her perspective.
9 
Do you have any advice for aspiring authors?
The most important advice I can give any author just starting out is never give up. There will be days you want to, don't give in. Also, get yourself involved in the author community. Not only will they be able to offer advice when needed, they will be able offer the support and friendship only another author can. My final piece of advice: write from your heart. If you're passionate about a subject, it will come through in your writing. Even if the subject isn't "in" right now, you never know what tomorrow will bring in. Stay true to yourself always.
    
Do you have anything you’d like to say to your readers?
You are all beautiful, amazing, wonderful people. Words can't express what it means to me each and every time one of you picks up one of my books. I love you all!
1 
Links
Blog: sandraely770.wordpress.com

Feel free to contact me anytime. I love hearing from my readers! Also, if you're interested in joining my street team, send me a message.

No comments:

Post a Comment