Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Interview with "Contagious" Author Emily Goodwin

Good evening Followers!

I know what a treat, two interviews in two days! I'm excited too, especially since this is with an author of one of the books I look forward to reading....and soon. Like ASAP. Emily Goodwin's " Contagious," was released today with Permuted Press and I approached her to do this interview to commemorate the release! Her Contagium Series ahs also won a few awards! I was so happy she said yes....and I'm about to show you all why you will fall in love with Emily Goodwin!

First, let's learn a little bit about Emily.....

Emily Goodwin is the author of the award winning Contagium Series published by Permuted Press as well as many independently published novels, including the internationally bestselling novel, STAY. Emily write in a wide variety of genres, from horror to romance. She holds multiple degrees in psychology and nursing and has worked in mental health and general healthcare. Emily resides in Indiana with her husband, daughter, and German Shepherd named Vader. Along with writing, Emily enjoys riding her horse, designing and making costumes, and Cosplay.

So.....I'm sure you guys would love to know what "Contagious" is about? Well, here it is!

"I wasn’t afraid of death. If I died, it would be over. My worst fear wasn’t of dying, it was of living. Living, while everyone around me had their flesh savagely torn from their bodies to be shoved into the festering and ever-hungry mouths of zombies. It terrified me, right down to my very core, to be alive while the rest of the world was dead."

During the Second Great Depression, twenty-four year old Orissa Penwell is forced to drop out of college when she is no longer able to pay for classes. Unable to find a job, she moves in with her aunt in Indianapolis. Down on her luck, Orissa doesn’t think she can go any lower.

She couldn’t be more wrong. A virus breaks out across the country, leaving the infected crazed, aggressive and very hungry.

Orissa is used to only being responsible for herself. When she finds herself a reluctant leader of a group of survivors, she must make a choice: set aside her issues and help the others or go off alone in search of her own family and friends.

....And here is the awesome cover (which I am still in awe over)!


Ready to learn some more about amazing author Emily Goodwin? Hopefully this interview won't disappoint!

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
I considered myself a writer when I first started writing, of course. I wrote fan fiction when I was younger but didn't write a full length novel until I was in college. Once I started writing books, I couldn't stop.

Do you have a specific writing style?
I like to eat while I write, does that count as a style? (Of course it does!)

What inspired you to write your first book?
I started putting original characters into the fan-fic that I wrote. Those characters just grew from there and soon I had my own plots and stories to tell. 

How did you come up with the title?
I have a hard time coming up with titles. I usually throw words around until I find something that grabs me. Then I have a trust team of friends who help me decide if my title is good enough. It's tough to pick out just a few words to represent your entire story.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
I write to entertain. If people find messages in my books, then I think that is great. Everything can be interpreted differently by different people, so ten people could read the same book and take away different things from it. I do include some themes in my books, but I don't really consider those messages. In my mermaid-horror novel, Beyond the Sea, the theme of accepting people for WHO they are instead if WHAT they are is pretty prominent throughout the whole book. But bottom line, I write to entertain. 

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?
I think JK Rowling would be amazing. She went through a lot of rejection then skyrocketed to the top. The Harry Potter series will always be my favorite.

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?
I wouldn't wait to publish it. I was very nervous how people would like a book with that dark subject matter. I was worried it wouldn't go over well. But I wouldn't change anything. I think everything that happened while writing that book made it what it is.

Do you have any advice for other writers?
Network with other writers. Support from other authors is invaluable! 

Where do your ideas come from?
Oh gosh, everywhere. I can see something on the way to the store and it will inspire a scene or even a whole book. I have very vivid, weird dreams a lot, which is wonderful for inspiration! 

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
Thank you!! I couldn't do what I love for a living if it wasn't for you. I hope all my readers know just how much I appreciate them. It still blows my mind to know that people like the stuff I write :) 

If you would like to know more about Emily and her work, she can be found in tons of places! The links below are a great place to start!


.....And here are some links where you can purchase "Contagious."

Amazon buy link: http://amzn.com/B00M7NPFA8


No comments:

Post a Comment