Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Who Wouldn't Want......

An excerpt from one of my current WIPs (Work in Progress for those of you that don't know the lingo). "The Harvested," has become one of my most favorite projects that I have ever worked on. Granted, I am writing it on my own since co-author has left, well more like was pushed from the building, but we all have to keep on going. While I won't be sharing from "Follow the Ashes: Book 1 of the Executioner Trilogy" until publication, I am very happy to share tidbits from other projects. Here is a snippet from "The Harvested." Enjoy!

I then felt a sharp jab in my neck that felt like a needle hitting home. I had missed someone. They were hiding in the back part of the plane I hadn’t seen hidden behind the wall holding medical equipment. How in the world did I miss another person hiding back there? I was in too much of a hurry to find Julius and plot an escape of some kind that I had completely missed it. I felt the drugs being pushed into my veins and then the needle slide from within my skin. As I began to feel its effects I remembered how I felt with my first dose of paralisix and I knew they had given it to me again, but this dose was even stronger. From the feel of it it seemed like they doubled, maybe even tripled it.
My knees almost buckled beneath me and I had to grab onto the table where Julius lay to steady myself. My hand fell to my side and the image of the man’s healthy red cells flew from my mind. I couldn’t focus on anything and my vision blacked out for a few seconds. I could feel my body trying to adjust itself to the medication, but it couldn’t. Not with the dosage I was just given. I slowly turned to look at the person behind me just to see their face. I would memorize it for later when I was able to function again.
His bright green eyes were striking and reminded me a lot of my own, and his strong features were set in a stern gaze as he watched me succumb to the medication. He had a small amount of stubble that made him look rugged yet distinguished and he was wearing the military’s black get up. Why was I not surprised? A military man selling out the supposed enemy? Sure, why not?
I could feel myself beginning to sway, and then my legs gave out entirely. I was falling in the same pattern as I had with my last dose, but much faster. The first time I was able to walk into a whole other room before yielding to its effects. I hadn’t even been able to take a single step now, not that I had even tried really. I rested both of my hands on the ground, putting all of my weight into them. The metal grate was grinding on my skin as I tried with all of my strength to hold myself up. I was trying to fight the paralisix with everything I had, but I was failing. The man then kneeled down in front of me and looked me in the eyes.
“Don’t fight it. Just let it take you,” he said. His voice was like velvet that wrapped around me. Its effect was almost hypnotic.
“No,” I mumbled, shaking my head in protest. “No.” That was the only word I could get out without drooling all over myself.
I could see him hold his hand out to someone behind me and something exchange hands. I moved to a sitting position. I was not going to lie down. I wasn’t. That would mean defeat. He took one of my arms and easily found a vein at the bend of my elbow, and there was nothing I could do to stop him. I could barely form a sentence let alone force my limbs to move. If anything, I was sinking farther and farther into exhaustion now and I was surprised I was still sitting up. He slid the needle in and pushed down the plunger, injecting me with an amber liquid.
“This is a paralisix booster. It’ll intensify the effect of the drug.”
He sure was right because I could see the world beginning to swim and my vision began to blur. The muscles holding me up relaxed and I fell forward and into his arms. He held me there as the drug took effect, moving my hair from my face and making calming sounds. He had apparently done this before. Everything went completely dark as I heard him once again told me not to fight it.


No comments:

Post a Comment